So I'm a little behind on posting this one! Andy and I drove down to Houston 2 weeks ago for our nephew and Godson Ethan's Baptism (that post to come) AND we got to go see The Phantom of the Opera on (traveling) Broadway!
Andy's Uncle Dave (David Gaschen <-- if you click there, his website will play "The Music of the Night" if you care to hear it) used to perform on Broadway in New York and now that he is singing full time, he occasionally fills in for Traveling Broadway when the regulars are on vacation, etc. Well I have been wanting to see him play the Phantom for practically 5 years, and SOMEHOW he was playing that role, in Houston, on the weekend when we were already going to be there!!! :-D To say the least, I was pretty pumped.
The performance was phenomenal!!! Uncle Dave did AWESOME and it was just surreal!! AND we had GREAT seats -- thanks to Uncle Dave and Andy's mom!!! (Thank You!) A ton of the Gaschen family attended, plus Mom and Jenny joined us, as well as our family friends the Harmons. So on to the photos... (oh, and I unfortunately never saw Uncle Dave after the performance until after he was out of his costume and makeup... so no photos of that, sorry.)
The obligatory photo of the Phantom sign on the side of the Hobby Center to introduce my photos... yes I'm a dork :)

Proof that I was there -- backstage! haha... took this photo when we were waiting for Uncle Dave, who took us on a backstage tour after the show!

Mr. and Mrs. Harmon with Uncle Dave -- The Phantom of the Opera is their favorite Broadway show and they've been wanting to see him play the role of the Phantom since they met him at our wedding (Uncle Dave sang at our wedding).

So on to the backstage tour -- here is a wall of wigs! Very cool... and creepy... :)

Uncle Dave and his son Andrew -- this was Andrew's first time to ever see his dad perform in the Phantom. I'm so glad he got to see him!

Mom, Jen, and me posing on stage in front of the famous chandelier. That thing was impressive!

The monkey music box that's in the start of the show...

Some of the candelabras and props from down in the Phantom's "den"/the lake under the Opera House... the set was incredible!

Andy appeasing me by posing for a photo with the hallway of gondolas behind us -- each little "gondola" is where the performers get changed between scenes. Seems like it would get chaotic but I bet it works like clockwork! :)

Uncle Dave's dressing room -- "That's what I'm sayin'!"
So this is the CLOSEST photo I have to Dave wearing his mask (it's in his hand)! And he's making a super cool face... probably at me for taking TOO MANY pictures.... sorry! ;) I just get snap-happy...

Andy, Andrew, me, Dave, Mom, and Jen after the show:
Andy, Andrew, me, Dave, Mom, and Jen after the show:




No comments:
Post a Comment